Skip to content
The Correct Suicide Coil Loading Procedure (eye to side)
- Set 1 coil rack for each 10,000 pounds of coil weight (minimum of 3) and lay beveled lumber on each side with the small edge of the lumber facing up.
- For coils under 30,000 pounds, use small coil racks and beveled 4″x 4″ lumber.
- For coils over 30,000 pounds, use large coil racks and beveled 6″x 6″ lumber.
- Lay rubber belting and waterproof paper on the timbers according to shipper’s specifications and set the coil on the timbers.
- Using edge protection at all points of contact, secure chains based on coil weight:
- 10,000 – 20,000 lbs: Three chains straight through coil. (See Figure 3)
- 20,000 – 30,000 lbs: Four chains straight through coil. (See Figure 4)
- 30,000 – 40,000 lbs: Five chains straight through coil. (See Figure 5)
- 40,000 – 50,000 lbs: Six chains straight through coil. (See Figure 6)
- Tarp load securely as required.
- Secure all loose equipment, including chains and binders, lumber, tarps, rubber belting, coil racks, edge protectors, and load bar.